Post deployment illness Gulf War

The ground war lasted four days and resulted in 147 battlefield deaths, but almost 199,000 of the 698,000 people who were deployed have since qualified for some degree of service-related disability. Of those, 13,317 people are disabled by "undiagnosed conditions"; Medically Unexplained Symptoms; Medically Unexplained Physical Symptoms (MUPS) or Unexplained Symptoms

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Brain fog post gulf war deployment

Due to this brain fog I often do not write clearly.
Many times I must take sentences from others, cut and paste
to express my option.

I start using gadgets and date books in order to keep track of our normal daily to-do list. If we handle our own checkbook, I gradually have more and more trouble with it. Even taking a shower is a major effort because I don't remember whether I've rinsed the shampoo out of my hair - I lose the washcloth - I drop everything - I forget whether I rinsed all those hard-to-reach areas. What were once functions that I handled without thought, I now need to consciously review every aspect of the process before it occurs.

If we tell our doctor about our problems, we are often easily placated by the doctor's words. "Everybody starts having trouble as they get older." "No, you don't have Alzheimer's - just FMS." "Oh, you're just depressed."
However, something is wrong. This is not the everyday forgetfulness that everyone experiences from time to time. This is a 24 hour, seven day-a-week continual struggle to appear and act normally. It's been proven by SPECT and PET scans of the brain. It really IS all in our heads - and it's real.

Unfortunately, the full extent of our brainfog may not be known until a moment of clarity. That moment may be as simple as finding your "lost" glasses on the end of your nose, or as complicated as finding out years later that you made a stupid little mistake when you filed your taxes.

Cognitive dysfunction is a right temporal lobe phenomena. Multiple mood swings, trouble sleeping are all temporal lobe abnormalities.

Temporal lobe is responsible for understanding what we hear, retrieving and restoring our memories even though the patient may feel they have difficulty with their memory.

It does not appear the VA has rating for this disorder yet.
This is problem Sergent Hammack is currently suffer with.
One in four Gulf war veterans suffers from illness caused by toxic exposure.
How do we get VA Health care pay attention to gulf war vets with these problems.

I thank the writer of the following site
http://lymeadvocacysite.blogspot.com/2009/12/its-amazing-in-this-day-and-age-of.html

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home